Neighbors spring into action at apartment fire
BATON ROUGE - Some quick thinking by neighbors helped save lives in Baton Rouge when a fire tore through the Evangeline Place Apartments.
Neighbors at the complex said if it wasn't for Good Samaritans, people could have died.
"Me and two other dudes, we had to yank him out the window," said Ronnie Corbine. "I was just trying to make sure everybody was out their apartments."
Firefighters said an unattended pot on a stove started the fire at the apartments on Annette Street Sunday night.
The fire gutted the kitchen and living room of the unit it started in, and did heavy smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the unit. Several nearby units were also damaged by smoke.
The Red Cross said they're assisting families affected by the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
EBR Sheriff stationed rescue vehicles ahead of storm
Ascension, Livingston inland waterways closed to recreational boaters at 6 p.m.
Mosquito fish being used to decrease West Nile Virus mosquito population
Valve releasing stinky odor disrupting church, neighborhood
Vote on Baton Rouge zoo relocation deferred