Neighbor saves disabled family from burning home
BATON ROUGE- A mother and son, both in wheelchairs, were rescued from their burning home Wednesday evening.
Flames tore through the house in the 10800 block of Cedar Bend Avenue in north Baton Rouge. Firefighters said a pot on the stove ignited the blaze.
"The fire engulfed the house. It was shooting out over his head while he was at the bottom of the floor," said eyewitness Dianne Patterson.
Patterson is also a neighborhood hero. After telling her husband to call 911, she found her neighbors inside the home, helpless.
"[She] was using her walker, which she is a very older lady, and [her son] was on the floor... The fire was ... shooting out over his head while he was at the bottom of the floor," she said.
Patterson went to work. She was able to help get both out.
"I thought they probably would have lost their lives if I hadn't came over," she said.
"It was a blessing I was at the right place at the right time."