Negligent homicide trial recessed in boy's death
LIVINGSTON - A judge called another recess in the negligent homicide trial Monday of a Livingston Parish man accused of running over a six-year-old.
In January, Brad Welch's trial was pushed back a month because a key witness could not appear. Today, the defense said they needed time to prepare an expert witness, and the judge agreed to recess until further notice.
Police said Welch told them he was on his cell phone when he ran over Tyler Myers, who had fallen off a scooter and was lying in the sidewalk in front of Welch's driveway. Welch also said he'd had a glass of wine earlier that evening, but his attorney argued none of that factored into the accident.
An accident reconstruction specialist previously testified that Welch's vision at the time of the wreck was obscured due to shrubs and his truck's hood.
Welch's trial is a bench trial, which means a judge will make the final determination instead of a jury.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
One year after deadly tornadoes struck south Louisiana
Soldier reunites with family and friends at Baton Rouge airport
Teen crash victim remembered with balloon release
After a dozen floods, man moves into flood-free home
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: State Police back out of investigation into Sheriff Captain