69°
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Nearly 8,000 students offered vouchers

3 years 5 months 4 hours ago May 01, 2013 May 1, 2013 Wednesday, May 01 2013 May 01, 2013 5:51 PM in News
Source: Office of the Governor
By: Brian Waldrep

NEW ORLEANS - State education officials said nearly 8,000 students have been offered vouchers to attend private schools for the next school year, despite an ongoing court battle over funding for the program.

State Superintendent of Schools John White said the total is 3,000 more than last year's enrollment in the Louisiana Scholarship Program.

Roughly 12,000 families across the state expressed interest in participating in the program this spring, up from approximately 10,000 families in 2012.

A judge ruled the funding formula which uses taxpayers money to cover the vouchers violated the state's constitution. The state Supreme Court heard arguments in the case's appeal this past March.

The Department of Education is working to finalize the list of schools that will participate in the second round of the voucher program.

Related Stories

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Radar
7 Days