NBC's Brian Williams suspended
NEW YORK - NBC suspended the face of network television news Tuesday after a week of controversy surrounding the truthfulness of comments he made concerning his experiences covering the Iraq War was questioned.
Brian Williams, the anchor and managing editor of the peacock network's "Nightly News" was given a sixth-month, unpaid suspension. The Associated Press reported Tuesday, NBC chief executive Steve Burke called Williams' actions inexcusable and jeopardized the trust he has built up with viewers during his decade as the network's lead anchor. Though, Burke said Williams deserved a second chance.
Williams apologized last week for saying he was in a helicopter that was hit by a grenade while covering the Iraq War in 2003. Instead, he was in a group of helicopters and another was hit, and some veterans involved in the mission called him out on it.
The network said another anchor will subsitute on the nightly television broadcast.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Officers, teens discuss difficult issues at Baton Rouge conference
EBR sheriff's deputy changing tire goes viral
New Roads community commemorates Memorial Day with a 'blessing of the boats'
Crews respond to fire at abandoned house on Lobelia Avenue
Video of EBR sheriff's deputy changing tire goes viral