Medicaid contract extended, after other deal cancelled
BATON ROUGE - Lawmakers have agreed to extend the state's multimillion-dollar Medicaid claims processing contract by another year.
The extension was needed after Gov. Bobby Jindal fired the company that had been picked to take over the work, CNSI, because of concerns the firm was given favorable treatment by his former health secretary.
A criminal investigation is ongoing into the award of the now-cancelled $200 million contract to CNSI. The company is suing the state for wrongful termination.
In the meantime, the Jindal administration has kept Molina Medicaid Solutions on the job. The House and Senate health care committees agreed Thursday to extend the company's contract through Dec. 31, 2015.
Molina's current contract with Louisiana began in January 2005. The health department says the extension will cost nearly $40 million next year.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Coursey Blvd. vandalism surveillance footage
Coursey Blvd. gardening business vandalized, owner says more than $10,000 in damages
Officers, teens discuss difficult issues at Baton Rouge conference
EBR sheriff's deputy changing tire goes viral
New Roads community commemorates Memorial Day with a 'blessing of the boats'