Mayor: Bungled rape cases will be investigated
NEW ORLEANS - Mayor Mitch Landrieu promises hundreds of rape and child abuse cases that went largely ignored by five detectives over a three-year period will be reopened.
On Tuesday, Landrieu announced a special team of police officers would reopen the cases. Last week, a city inspector general's audit charged five detectives failed to do substantial investigation of more than 1,000 sex crimes and child abuse cases.
Landrieu calls the accusations against the detectives "a disgrace."
Landrieu says when he became mayor in 2010 the police department's sex crimes division was "failing." He said despite an overhaul in the division the new report showed "that we did not pull this problem out by the roots."
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Feed your nightmares: BK offers Halloween themed burger
Deadline for Restore Louisiana survey approaches
WANTED: Women steal from Family Dollar locations
Crews respond to overnight house, commercial building fires in EBR
Powerball hits $345M for Wednesday night's drawing; Check numbers here