Posted: Jul 6, 2011 12:49 PM
Source: Associated Press
WASHINGTON - The second-ranking U.S. commander in Afghanistan is providing new details on the planned pullout of U.S. troops this year.
Army Lt. Gen. David Rodriguez told reporters at the Pentagon on Wednesday that by the end of this summer the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment - based in the southern province of Helmand - will leave and not be replaced.
That unit has between 1,000 and 1,200 Marines.
Their home base is Twentynine Palms, Calif.
Rodriguez did not give a complete rundown of the planned drawdown.
He said some aspects of it will not be decided until this fall.
President Barack Obama announced last month that by the end of this year 10,000 U.S. troops will come home.
Another 23,000 will leave in 2012.