Posted: Feb 2, 2011 11:02 PM by Stephanie Ryan
Updated: Feb 2, 2011 11:02 PM
GRAND ISLE - People on Grand Isle are still waiting for their BP checks to come in. They are leery of claims administrator Ken Feinberg's claim that the recovery process will be over in three years.
Sarah's Restaurant on the island has lost more than $150,000, but has only gotten a check for about $10,000, said Roxie Ray, a waitress there.
"It was like a slap in the face," Ray said. Sometimes, she goes home with just $20 in her pocket for a day's work, because the owner just cannot afford to pay her after writing checks for bills.
Ray believes it'll be more than three years before she sees people return to the island for vacations.
One boat lift businessman eating at the restaurant said he'd lost more than $250,000, but has not yet even gotten a nickel from BP.
"It makes me very bitter," he said, referring to one company he heard had already gotten $10 million.