Posted: Oct 9, 2012 12:47 PM
Source: Associated Press
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. - Authorities say the winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms. The grand prize in Friday night's contest was a live python.
The Broward County sheriff's office says in a news release that it is waiting for an autopsy to give the official cause of death.
However, the news release Monday says 32-year-old Edward Archbold became ill soon after winning and collapsed in front of the Ben Siegel Reptile Store where the contest was held. The store is in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. Archbold was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Police say several contestants ate insects but no one else became ill.