Man charged with Blvd De Province shooting
BATON ROUGE - Police said they've arrested a suspect in a shooting near a BREC Park this week.
Cpl. L'Jean McKneely said investigators charged 20-year-old Qwenton Bureau with negligent injuring and illegal use of a weapon in the April 8 shooting.
Police said they found the 21-year-old victim lying in the road at 1972 Blvd De Province around 10 p.m. Wednesday. They said he'd been shot in the head and was unresponsive when he was rushed to the hospital. Investigators said they also found a second shooting scene in the nearby BREC park, but did not know at the time if the two scenes were related.
According to arrest documents Bureau told police he and the victim, who is a friend of Bureau's, had been at the BREC Park when a fight broke out. Police said Bureau told them he pulled out a gun and fired several shots into the air, but one of the bullets hit his friend instead.
Police said Bureau also led them to evidence needed for their investigation. He was then arrested and booked into the parish jail.
Correction - An earlier version of this story said Bureau had been charged with attempted murder. Baton Rouge Police later said they released the wrong charges to the media.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Gunfire outside Sorrento landfill escalates enviromental fight
Reported two alarm apartment fire on Titian Ave. near N Donmoor Ave.
20-year-old wanted for shooting near Doe's restaurant on Government Street
Legally blind teacher works, can't get disability assistance
Community gathers to honor Martin Luther King Jr. on MLK Day