Mall of La. annexation lawsuit hearing set for Monday
BATON ROUGE - A hearing related to the lawsuit filed against the city of Baton Rouge and the EBR Metro Council is set for Monday.
The lawsuit could stop the annexation of parts of the Mall of Louisiana into Baton Rouge. The Metro Council approved the annexation last month, but former state lawmaker Woody Jenkins filed the lawsuit to halt the annexation of the mall.
"When it comes to creating a situation where this store is covered by the city police and that store is covered by the sheriff's office. And that parking lot is under St. George Fire Department and that parking lot is under Baton Rouge it doesn't make the test of reasonableness," said Jenkins.
The annexation of the Mall of Louisiana does not include the four anchor stores. St. George supporters we spoke with feel the lawsuit will shed light through the annexation holes.
"The annexation needs to be compact, and so whenever you create islands of unincorporated areas. That lacks compactness to me," said Dwight Hudson. "Now eventually a judge is going to decide that, but I think the law is definitely on Mr. Jenkins' side."
Others who are against the proposed city of St. George believe the lawsuit is grasping at straws.
"It seemed like a rather desperate effort and maybe a delay tactic so they can come up with something better, because I have every confidence that the fire department, the police department and the city of Baton Rouge are going to police the mall of Louisiana," said Donna Frilot.
The judge must rule within five days of the hearing, but that ruling can be appealed.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
North Carolina police release dash cam shooting footage (Warning: Graphic Video)
North Carolina police release shooting footage (Graphic video warning)
West BR to implement traffic flow measures on LA 1 starting Monday
Man claims his severe losses came from contractor, not flood
Local teen prepares for 9th open heart surgery