Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Bomb threat suspect accused of threats in the past

3 years ago September 19, 2012 Sep 19, 2012 Wednesday, September 19 2012 Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:10:18 AM CDT in News
Source: WBRZ
By: Russell Jones

BATON ROUGE - Authorities arrested a person overnight they said admitted to calling in a recent bomb threat to LSU, and arrest records show this isn't the first time he's been accused of making threats.

LSU Police arrested William Bouvay Jr., 42, of Baton Rouge around midnight. They booked him into the parish prison in suspicion of Communicating of False Information of Planned Bombing.

LSUPD said they tracked the threat to a deactivated cell phone, and were able to pinpoint where the call was made through GPS to an address on Skysail.

Investigators said they developed Bouvay as a suspect during their search, and he agreed to go with authorities for further questioning. During an interview, they said Bouvay admitted to making the threat.

"LSU and LSU Police Department would like extend our sincere thanks and appreciation to all Law Enforcement that assisted in the initial response and subsequent investigation," said LSU Police Chief Lawrence Rabalais. "The cooperation, assistance and old fashioned police work was instrumental in a quick resolution to this incident."

Arrest records show in 2004, Bouvay was also accused of calling an LSU professor who was his ex-girlfriend 20 times in the span of a week and making death threats, including bomb threats. Bouvay has also been accused of numerous drug charges, and in 2008 pleaded to a lesser charge after being accused of attempted second-degree murder for a domestic violence incident.

This week's threat forced a campus-wide evacuation, the first time the university's been evacuated for a bomb scare.

Rabalais said they received assistance from the Louisiana State Police, East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office, East Baton Rouge District Attorney's Office, Baton Rouge City Police, FBI, ATF and the Department of Homeland Security.

"The best technology was used to make an arrest in this case... less than 48 hours after the threat," said Col. Mike Edmonson with State Police. "That's remarkable, but it proves what can happen when you get all area law enforcement agencies working together."

News 2's Michael Shingleton will have more on this developing story tonight starting on News 2 at 4 p.m.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days