Louisiana's disaster declaration approved
BATON ROUGE- The federal government has approved Louisiana's request for a disaster declaration for the Red River flooding that caused damage across a half-dozen parishes in the last month.
Mike Steele of the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness says the Obama Administration approved the declaration Monday for Bossier, Caddo, Grant, Natchitoches and Red River parishes.
Kevin Davis, director of Louisiana's office of emergency preparedness, says the declaration will allow state and parish agencies to get partial reimbursement for response efforts.
Davis told the Baton Rouge Press Club that state and local government offices spent about $14 million dealing with the flooding in northwest Louisiana. He says the federal government will pay 75 percent of those costs.
Flooding damaged thousands of acres of farmland, along with some homes and businesses.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
City breaks ground on 'shopping bypass' boulevard
Man living in tent since flood braces for cold weather
Work finishing up at temporary flood debris site
Dow promises better communication if there's another emergency
Sheriff says more drugs on the street following undercover drug bust shooting