Lightning strikes home, sparks fire in Baton Rouge
BATON ROUGE - A house caught on fire after lightning struck during an afternoon storm in Baton Rouge Tuesday.
The St. George Fire Department responded to the fire on Memorial Tower Dr. in University Club just after 6 p.m.
Homeowner Seshchand Atluri says he thought it was a power surge and didn't think much of it.
"I was turning the TV on and off to see," he said.
It wasn't until he saw smoke that he knew something was wrong. His neighbor called for help.
"He ran by and said, 'I already called 9-1-1, the house is on fire,'" said Atluri.
Atluri says he'll fix his roof and until then, will stay with friends.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Final pick-up for flood debris in Central on Monday
Grace "Mama" Marino, founder of Gino's Restaurant, dies Thursday
Sex tape scandal, other issues frustrate some Southern supporters
Moldy MHU ruins flood victim's belongings
Video shows moment humpback whale breaches next to boat near New Jersey