LHSAA: Belaire HS penalized for plot to play ineligible player
BATON ROUGE - Administrators, coaches and either the parent or an unidentified football player conspired to hide the player's ineligibility for high school football play at Belaire, the LHSAA ruled in a report released Monday.
Belaire, a District 6-4A school, will forfeit its five winning games played between September 2nd and October 6th - the entire football season from jamborees to week 6. The school will be fined $2,000 and players involved will not be able to play pending a further ruling by the LHSAA. Belaire athletics are also on probation, the LHSAA said.
Last week, the East Baton Rouge Parish School System confirmed to WBRZ that four employees were on administrative leave related to the investigation. Principal Roy Walker, Coach Claude Coleman, Jr., Athletic Director Chauncey Moore and Linda White, a counselor, were involved in the investigation and have not been on campus since last week, the district said.
Scholastic issues were behind the ineligibility.
Belaire's next game is against Tara on Friday.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz