Lawyer: Louisiana gun case against millionaire Durst dropped
NEW ORLEANS - An attorney for real estate heir Robert Durst says state weapon charges against him have been dropped, clearing the way for federal proceedings in New Orleans on similar charges.
Durst, who faces a murder charge in an unrelated California case, remains jailed without bond in Louisiana.
Lawyer Dick DeGuerin said in an email Thursday that state and federal prosecutors had been discussing the possibility of the state case being dropped. He says he was pleased with the decision and that there shouldn't be two prosecutions in state and federal court for the same crime.
Assistant New Orleans District Attorney Christopher Bowman confirmed that the case has been dismissed. He says District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro reserved the right to bring the case up again once the federal case is resolved.
Durst was arrested at a New Orleans hotel in March. Prosecutors say he had a gun and marijuana in his room.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
One injured in overnight shooting at Taco Bell near LSU
Man accused in 2011 slaying of wife expected in court
One injured in overnight shooting at fast food restaurant
Residents fear proposed development could increase neighborhood traffic
Saints owner releases statement on crucial missed penalty, calls for changes in...