Lawsuit likely after school board votes to drop two members
BATON ROUGE- East Baton Rouge Parish School Board members refused to leave Thursday's meeting before making a decision on whether or not to eliminate the number of seats on the board.
About six hours after the meeting began, the board voted to eliminate two seats and move forward with nine board members. Other options, which were vetoed earlier in the meeting, would have eliminated as many as four seats on the school board. Currently, there are eleven members.
"We can do more with a smaller board. It's an essential step to get a great superintendent. This is the best step," member Craig Freeman said.
"I'm excited about the potential change," another member, Connie Bernard, added. "It's much more efficient and respectful of public's time."
The NAACP, along with both Republicans and Democrats, have voiced opposition to eliminating the number of positions. It is likely the NAACP will file a lawsuit over Thursday's late-night change to the board.
The NAACP has suggested a small board leaves it susceptible to segregation and fewer minorities being elected.
In the Fall, voters will decide on electing people to nine school board districts.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
WATCH: Starbucks employee has meltdown over new Unicorn Frappuccino
Community says it's still seeking justice for Alton Sterling
American Airlines employee grounded after confrontation with passenger
Historic dorms in Tiger Stadium to be demolished
Second disaster hits family within a year, waiting on insurance