Local News

LAE says 2 schools are "holding off" on vouchers after lawsuit threat

Font size

Posted: Jul 28, 2012 7:23 PM by Olivia LaBorde
Updated: Jul 29, 2012 10:22 AM
Source: WBRZ

  Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

Topics: LAE, joyce haynes, lawsuit, voucher, john white

BATON ROUGE- Two schools are backing away from taking voucher money after being threatened with a lawsuit, according to the Louisiana Association of Educators.

"Some of them couldn't be contacted but at least two of them said they will hold off. " Says LAE President Joyce Haynes

Earlier this week the organization announced will file suit against schools who accept tuition vouchers from students participating in the new state program.

Starting in fall, eligible students from failing schools with be allowed to use vouchers from the state to pay tuition at private and parochial schools.

Haynes, says the voucher program unconstitutional, and she's willing to go all the way to the Supreme Court to prove it.

" There wasn't even a majority vote. This time we know it's unconstitutional according to Louisiana Constitution. And the moment this goes in our favor, If you've paid that kind of money, how will you pay it back?" asks Haynes

State Superintendent of Schools John White says, " Using scare tactics two weeks before school starts is disgraceful."

White says vouchers has been approved for more than 5,000 at 119 schools statewide.

Students should know, whether they will receive a voucher and to which school by Monday.

Most Popular