Judge sticks to BP gross negligence ruling
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge in New Orleans is sticking to his ruling that said BP's conduct in the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil rig disaster amounted to "gross negligence."
It could mean close to $18 billion in federal penalties for the oil giant.
U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier (BAHR'-bee-aye) on Thursday rejected BP's call to either amend his Sept. 4 judgment or hold a new trial on the issue.
BP attorneys filed a motion in October arguing that Barbier's ruling was based on expert testimony that had been excluded from the earlier trial.
Barbier disagreed in an 11-page ruling that included excerpts from the testimony. Barbier said there was no basis for BP's claim that the testimony was unfair or prejudicial.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Man arrested accused of injuring prominent realtor in Prairieville
Baton Rouge man treated by President Trump's doctor after medical emergency
Families, veterans pay respects on Memorial Day at Port Hudson National Cemetery
Teens recognized as state's top future soldiers by Governor Edwards
Coursey Blvd. vandalism surveillance footage