64°
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Judge rejects claims over failed Katrina floodwall

3 years 5 months 2 weeks ago April 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013 Tuesday, April 16 2013 April 16, 2013 9:45 AM in News
Source: Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge has rejected claims that excavation work by an Army Corps of Engineers contractor weakened a New Orleans floodwall and caused it to breach in two places during Hurricane Katrina.

U.S. District Judge Stanwood Duval Jr. said in his ruling last Friday that he can't hold the corps or its contractor, Washington Group International Inc., responsible for the 2005 failure of a floodwall meant to protect the city's Lower 9th Ward and neighboring St. Bernard Parish.

But the judge said the floodwall was a "disaster waiting to happen" and chided the corps for building a "tragically flawed" levee system that failed to protect tens of thousands of residents of greater New Orleans.

Duval presided over a trial last year for homeowners' claims against the corps and WGI.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Radar
7 Days