Judge: No new trial in burned body conviction
NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge has rejected a request for a new trial for a former New Orleans police officer convicted of burning the body of a man killed by another officer after Hurricane Katrina.
Gregory McRae said he had new evidence that could have swayed a jury. He said such evidence included a federal prosecutor's anonymous online comments about the shooting and related cases, and a psychologist's report about his mental state after the storm in 2005.
Judge Lance Africk ruled Monday that McRae did not show that the verdict was undermined by the online comments.
He says McRae's lawyers based their defense on McRae's mental condition, knew he had been seeing a psychologist, and could have obtained the psychologist's reports.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
EBRSO: Driver attempts to flee scene of crash, doesn't get far
LA 1 to get new signs telling traffic info.
BR zoo takes WBRZ behind the scenes after animal deaths
Students invade Capitol for 'Take our Daughters and Sons to Work Day'
Mayor's Office discusses Earth Day violence at Friday press conference