Judge dismisses lawsuit against Hunt warden
IBERVILLE PARISH - A judge has dismissed a lawsuit Tuesday against the Warden of Elayn Hunt Correctional Center alleging a prisoner was being wrongfully held.
The lawsuit claimed Darrin Schaubhut Jr. was being held in Iberville Parish by the State Department of Corrections despite two court orders for his release.
Schaubhut has been locked up since Nov. 16. He had been on parole for a 2008 bribery conviction when he was arrested last year for drug possession. The Department of Corrections says he also tested positive for drugs and voluntarily revoked his parole.
Schaubhut's attorney says he was never told that his client was asked to revoke his parole.
District Attorney Ricky Babin says Judge Tureau dismissed the lawsuit, saying he didn't have jurisdiction over a prisoner voluntarily revoking their probation. Schaubhut's attorney is now expected to challenge the parole revocation in the 19th Judicial District.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Officers, teens discuss difficult issues at Baton Rouge conference
EBR sheriff's deputy changing tire goes viral
New Roads community commemorates Memorial Day with a 'blessing of the boats'
Crews respond to fire at abandoned house on Lobelia Avenue
Video of EBR sheriff's deputy changing tire goes viral