Joint state investigation launched into Angola allegations
BATON ROUGE - Multiple state authorities said Friday they were launching a joint investigation into allegations of wrongdoing at Angola state penitentiary.
Representatives with Louisiana State Police, the state Inspector General's Office and the Department of Corrections said they were looking further into "rumors" about Angola operations, but would not give more details.
Greg Phares with the Inspector General's Office said the allegations were different than questionable real estate dealings between outgoing warden Burl Cain and family members of Angola prisoners, which state agencies were already looking into.
Col. Mike Edmonson, the superintendent of Louisian State Police, said the investigation involved time sheets and other employee records at the prison, but did not elaborate.
Cain made the surprise announcement earlier this month that he was retiring from his position as warden of Angola state penitentiary on Jan. 1. The position would be filled in the interim by the warden of Dixon Correctional until a permanent appointment can be made.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Louisiana lawmaker also wants restrictive abortion law
Fatal crash involving motorcycle reported on Nicholson Drive
Exxon eyes Baton Rouge for more expansion, reports suggest
Crews working to clear drainage canals in Denham Springs
BREC Commission to discuss alternate location for the Baton Rouge Zoo