Jindal: State still waiting on Morganza decision
BATON ROUGE - Gov. Bobby Jindal said today the state was still waiting for notification that the decision to open the Morganza Spillway had been made to relieve the rapidly-swelling Mississippi River.
At his daily press update on river levels, Jindal said he had told the Mississippi River Commission that they wanted five days' notice before the Morganza would be opened. He also said he understood that may not happen.
"We can't control their (River Commission) notification process," he said. "We can control our preparedness, our people being ready."
Earlier today the Corps released two new inundation maps showing possible scenarios if the Morganza Spillway was not opened. One scenario was a "worst-case" situation if the Morganza was not opened and no flood preparations were taken, the second showed where flooding would happen if the Corps used the Old River Lock to divert water instead of the spillway.
Jindal said people should continue to prepare as if the Morganza would be opened. The Corps has said the river should reach the trigger point required to open it between Saturday and Tuesday.