Posted: May 9, 2011 12:30 PM by Russell Jones
Updated: May 9, 2011 12:30 PM
BATON ROUGE - In his latest update on rising river levels, Governor Bobby Jindal said a decision to open the Morganza Spillway could come later today from the Corps of Engineers.
Jindal said requests had formally been made and Corps officials in charge of the decision were going to the Bonnet Carre Spillway, which opened this morning, to see the conditions there and could make a decision later.
Jindal said the latest inundation maps released by the Corps are giving the public a better idea of who could be impacted by the spillway being opened.
"If you were flooded in '73, you're likely to get wet again," said Jindal today.
He also said some parish sheriffs were already warning people in low-lying areas to make evacuation plans, and reiterated people in those areas needed to take care of themselves and their neighbors now instead of waiting.
Jindal also said around 400 National Guard members had been activated by the state to assist with any evacuation or rescue operations, and the state was appealing a Department of Defense denial to their request for more funding to help the Guard during the flooding crisis. Jindal said he believed the partial federal disaster declaration would help their case.
He also said the Department of Health and Hospitals had identified 16 hospitals that are at risk from flooding, and that they're reviewing evacuation plans and moving some patients to higher floors already.