Posted: Feb 25, 2013 10:35 PM by Brittany Weiss
Updated: Feb 25, 2013 10:35 PM
BATON ROUGE - A family is out of their River Bend home tonight after lightning set fire their attic.
Pete Bush says, "It all happened very quick, between the boom and the smell, and the opening of the attic, you're talking about 3-4 minutes."
Lightning struck the chimney, traveled down the fireplace and started a blaze in the attic.
Bush got the kids out of the house and called the fire department. Instead of waiting for the help, he grabbed a water pitcher and began dumping water on the burning area.
"I was scared to death," said Bush. "I mean there's no doubt about that. Your first thought goes to your family. I was screaming to get the kids out of the house, get everyone away from the house and safety first."
The fire left a mess in their home and a hole in their roof. Investigators believe the fire burned through a gas line and was seconds from creating an even bigger problem.