Posted: May 3, 2011 2:53 PM by Chris Nakamoto
Updated: May 3, 2011 2:53 PM
BATON ROUGE- The I-10 widening project between the 10/12 split and Siegen Lane is about a year behind schedule, according to State Transportation Leaders.
"There were some initial plan changes in the beginning," Jodi Conachen with DOTD said. "We have some issues with insufficient resources being dedicated."
The project was scheduled to be finished at the end of this year. However, it is now set for completion in the fall of 2012.
News 2 has learned, the contractor, Austin Bridge Inc. received a disqualification letter from DOTD last week. All sides are scheduled to meet about the issue Thursday to talk about moving forward.
The same contractor working on the I-10 project also was disqualified from a project being done in Shreveport. According to DOTD, the disqualification came after the contractor fell behind schedule there too.
"They can't bid on any projects until the disqualification is lifted," Conachen said. "If they were to dedicate sufficient resources to move the project along, that would lift the disqualification."
News 2 tried to reach the contractor about this issue, but several phone calls were not returned. DOTD leaders say they can be fined up to $15,000 per day after the deadline for completion. Right now, the fine stands at approximately $4.5 million.
A different contractor is widening I-10 between Siegen Lane and Highland Road. That project is on schedule and will open in early 2013.