Posted: Feb 18, 2013 12:44 PM by Russell Jones, Rob Krieger
Updated: Feb 18, 2013 7:10 PM
BATON ROUGE - State transportation officials cut the ribbon today on the completion of another phase of interstate construction in Baton Rouge.
Officials celebrated the opening of two additional lanes of traffic on I-10 between the I-10/12 split and Siegen Lane. Bad weather delayed the previously-scheduled opening, which had been planned for last week.
"It's great, I loved it and I noticed it right away when I came this way, even though it's not the commute hour, it's just pleasant, very, very pleasant," said Sandra Nettles, who was traveling with family.
While the section of interstate is open to drivers, construction will continue on the six lanes.
"There'll be some work, it'll mostly be done at night time, there might be some intermittent closures that will occur at night time, but for the most part the interstate is open," said DOTD Secretary Sherri LeBas.
The $86.2 million project widened I-10 from four to six lanes of travel, and included work on bridges and overpasses at Essen Lane and Bluebonnet Boulevard.
The construction was part of the $315 million Geaux Wider program to add many improvements to I-10 and I-12 in East Baton Rouge and Livingston Parishes.
DOTD said additional lanes on I-10 from Siegen to Highland are scheduled to be completed this spring. Design work is also scheduled to begin on three widening projects from Highland Road to La. 22 in Ascension Parish.
You can find more information about the Geaux Wider project on their website.