HVAC system may have sparked massive Denham blaze
DENHAM SPRINGS - Fire investigators will return to the burned rubble of a medical supplier Wednesday morning to continue to isolate a cause of a blaze that sent plumes of smoke into the sky above Livingston Parish and closed US 190 through downtown Tuesday.
The huge bright, orange flames and dark, billowing smoke forced emergency crews to close the highway between Summers Street and Range Avenue for much of the afternoon. The fire sparked just before noon and quickly grew to massive inferno.
By the time most people in town were ending their lunch breaks, flames burst from the front of Magnolia Respiratory & Medical Equipment at 239 Florida Avenue Southeast. By 12:00, the building was engulfed in flames and smoke poured into the sky.
The business which occupies the building reportedly supplies oxygen tanks for medical purposes. Witnesses reported hearing a series of small explosions as the fire burned.
The roof collapsed during the inferno and crews were spending the afternoon dealing with smoldering hot spots and clearing debris.
A number of fire response agencies battled the blaze.
Tuesday night, fire investigators told WBRZ News 2 they were looking closely at the possibility that the fire started in the building's HVAC system.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
IMAGE/VIDEO: Barry Inn
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Artist turns abandoned tires into art around Baton Rouge
ExxonMobil releases stern, ominous statement related to its failed tax break requests
Frequent flyers: Airport staff strive to keep birds out of BTR
One week later, motive unclear in slaying of woman in Sherwood Forest
One injured in overnight shooting at Taco Bell near LSU