Hurricane supplies tax-free this weekend in La.
BATON ROUGE - Louisiana's tax-free holiday for people to get ready for hurricane season is this weekend.
The Hurricane Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday runs this Saturday and Sunday, May 26 and 27.
During the annual two-day holiday, the state sales tax is waived on the first $1,500 of the sales price of the following items:
- portable self-powered light source;
- portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio;
- tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting;
- any ground anchor system or tie-down kit;
- any gas or diesel fuel tank;
- any package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6-volt, or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries;
- any cellular phone battery and any cellular phone charger;
- any non-electric food storage cooler;
- any portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage;
- any "storm shutter device," as defined in the Act;
- any carbon monoxide detector; and
- any blue ice product.
The sales tax exemption also extends to items placed in or taken out of layaway, and items ordered for immediate delivery.
For more information about the sales tax holiday, visit the La. Department of Revenue's website.
News 2's Kristy Davis will have more on the tax holiday tonight at 10 p.m.