Posted: Nov 26, 2012 6:13 PM by Brittany Weiss
Updated: Nov 26, 2012 6:13 PM
BATON ROUGE - The interim director of Baton Rouge's Department of Public Works said today his agency's Hurricane Isaac preparation and response went smoothly.
David Guillory said they had one overriding goal: get back to normal as quickly as possible.
"We need to try to make us operate more efficiently," he said today at the Baton Rouge Press Club. "Maybe a little leaner, and to make sure we can get services to citizens faster."
DPW spent two days clearing 160 roads blocked by debris, only stopping for four hours during high winds.
Guillory said today debris will be an issue with every storm. Multiple passes were make throughout East Baton Rouge Parish to remove debris as quickly as possible. Every pickup made was documented on an interactive map, to ensure every home had been visited.
Guillory said for the next storm, every water pump station in the parish will have a generator, to ensure everyone has water during power outages.
Residents at the meeting said the main problem is power, and a quick fix would be to bury the lines.
"It's going to happen next year," said Samear Ziatoon. "We're going to have the same conversation next year. We've had it for many years before."
Guillory says on every new construction job, DPW replaces overhead power lines with underground utilities.
DPW and Entergy are discussing options that would help restore power at a faster rate.