News

House fire in Baker caused by unattended stove

Font size

Posted: Nov 14, 2010 11:51 AM by Russell Jones
Source: Baker Fire Department

  Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

Topics: baker, fire, department, house, fire, gibbens, payne, drive, louisiana, pot, fries, cooking, oil, stove, unattended, wbrz

BAKER – Firefighters say a pot of oil left heating on a stove while the cook made a quick trip to the store is what led to a house fire this weekend.

Crews were called to a fire at 4208 Gibbens Payne Drive in Baker, and found heavy smoke coming out of the home when they arrived. No one was home, so firefighters forced their way in and found the kitchen on fire.

Investigators determined the fire was started because the stove had been left on under a pot of cooking oil. The owner told them he had been warming the oil to make fries, but left to get something else from the store and left the stove on.

The fire did $30,000 in damage to the home, mostly to the kitchen area according to investigators. No injuries were reported due to the fire, but the family was displaced while the home’s utilities were turned off.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular