Houmas House - Mushroom and Cauliflower Risotto
Mushroom and Cauliflower Risotto
1 cup arborio rice
4 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
1 crown cauliflower, chopped into small florets
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
5 cups chicken stock
3-4 slices proscuitto
2 T butter
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To start, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook about 4-6 minutes, stirring often. Once cooked, remove from heat.
- Add more olive oil to the pan if necessary, then add the chopped cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Allow to cook about 3-4 minutes, charring one side before stirring. Stir, then transfer to the pre-heated oven and cook about 30-40 minutes, until cauliflower is soft but not mushy.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the diced onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook about 6-7 minutes, stirring often. Once translucent and soft, and the arborio rice and stir well to combine. Just before the mixture begins to smoke, add the white wine and stir until totally absorbed. Add a single cup of broth, bring to a low simmer, and stir constantly until absorbed. Repeat this with 3 more cups of broth - holding off on the final cup.
- Before adding your final cup of broth, stir in the mushrooms and cauliflower. Add the final cup of broth and stir until almost totally absorbed (stop the cooking just before you think you should).
- Crisp the prosciutto in a heavy skillet over high heat, or in the oven.
- To serve, top each plate with shaved parmesan and chopped prosciutto.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Lawmaker shelves bill to give police access to locked phones
First responders desribe Livingston crash as worst in decade
Prominent attorney's son arrested on drug charges, allegations of judge shopping surface
Sheriff addresses jail employees' firing, resignations
May 2, 2016 Morning News Pop