Home invasion suspect was out of jail for good behavior
BATON ROUGE - The man accused of attacking women during two home invasions in Baton Rouge had been on supervised release from prison when the crimes occurred, according to the Department of Corrections.
Vorris Mouton, 35, of New Iberia remains in jail on a parole hold after his arrest Tuesday on suspicion of home invasion and sexual battery.
According to state corrections officials, Mouton was released early due to good behavior in June 2013 after a conviction for simple burglary of an inhabited dwelling. He was to remain under supervision until 2016.
Baton Rouge Police said on Dec. 22 Mouton broke into a home on Reymond Street and threatened to kill a woman there unless she told him where her safe was. Investigators said he fled the home after a brief struggle with the homeowner.
Investigators arrested Mouton Monday in connection with that crime, then charged him Tuesday with a home invasion and sexual battery which happened Jan. 17 in the Sherwood Forest subdivision. They said DNA from that scene connected Mouton to the crime.
Mouton's rap sheet includes charges in Iberia Parish as far back as 1996, including criminal trespassing, criminal mischief, simple burglary of inhabited dwelling and theft.
Police continue to investigate three other home invasions and sexual assaults which happened a few days before the Jan. 17 incident, and said Tuesday they were not ready to link Mouton to those crimes.
News 2 will have more updates on the investigation in tonight's newscasts.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Contractor calls out competition for taking credit for his work
2 dead, 3 injured in crash on Hwy 190 in Livonia
Storage unit renters refunded following 2 On Your Side report
Louisiana wetlands disappearing; attempts for restoration underway
Attempts to force big industry off Baton Rouge water