Holly Clegg's Chicken Tortilla Soup
BATON ROUGE- Cookbook author Holly Clegg made one of her cancer approved dishes for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The chicken tortilla soup recipe is from her cookbook Eating Well Through Cancer.
For more on Holly Clegg's cookbooks and more recipes, visit her website.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
A one pot popular and really tasty version of southwestern chicken soup.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 (16-ounce bag) frozen corn
2 cups shredded skinless Rotisserie chicken breast
Tortilla Strips (see recipe)
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 small avocado, peeled and diced, (optional)
1. In large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté the onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, lime juice, corn and chicken. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes, time permitting.
3. Serve with tortilla strips (see below), cheese, green onion, and avocado, if desired.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 345, Protein 31g, Carbohydrate 40g, Fat 7g, Calories from Fat 18%, Saturated Fat 3g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Cholesterol 57mg, Sodium 791mg Diabetic Exchanges:
2.5 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable
Terrific Tip: Topping with cheese adds both protein and calories to your meal.
Nutrition Nugget: A dish your whole family will enjoy. Tomatoes are high in lycopene, and Vitamins A and C. Vitamin C is a member of the antioxidant family of vitamins. Vitamin C promotes healthy gums and teeth, aiding in iron absorption and wound healing.
6 (8-inch) flour tortillas (use corn tortillas for gluten-free option)
1. To make tortilla strips, while soup is cooking, preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch wide strips. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and lay strips over sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Strips may be stored in zip lock bags.