Posted: Jun 7, 2012 10:53 PM by Ashley Rodrigue
BATON ROUGE- The recent forecast has been testing work on the sewer system in East Baton Rouge Parish.
Continuous rain has always gotten into the sewage system underground, clogging up pipes and sending sewage back up. But city leaders say their work is improving that situation slowly but surely.
Engineers shared that message with the North Baton Rouge community Thursday night. It's one of many meetings that have been held across the parish to update taxpayers on the billion dollar Sanitary Sewer Overflow Program that's revamping the system.
SSO Program Manager Michael Ellis said, "About 200 miles of pipe will be up-sized. I think it's roughly 70% of the system will be rehabilitated with cracks and defects. We'll repair those, and then pump stations of the 450, we're up-sizing 150."
Those changes should be seen more and more throughout the parish as the SSO flows toward its 2015 completion deadline. More than 20 projects are already done, almost 50 are under construction right now. Engineers know some of you are seeing the benefit, but others are just seeing a burden.
Ellis said, "We are going into the streets in the neighborhoods and fixing a problem that's underground and so we have to dig it up so what we do is try to minimize that inconvenience."
Street flooding is actually not being addressed at this time. That work was part of the mayor's third tax proposal, which was shot down by the Metro Council last year.