Egypt state media announces Gaza war cease-fire
CAIRO - Egyptian state media has announced a cease-fire between Hamas and Israel to halt the seven-week Gaza war, which has killed over 2,200 people.
Both Egyptian state television and the state news agency MENA announced the deal Tuesday night. Both said it begins at 7 p.m. local time (1600 GMT), without elaborating.
Earlier, officials with from Hamas and Islamic Jihad, the main groups fighting in Gaza against Israel, said a cease-fire had been reached. Israeli officials have not immediately commented. They described it as an "open-ended" cease-fire that included an Israeli agreement to ease its blockade of Gaza to allow relief supplies and construction materials into the war-battered territory.
Israeli officials have yet to comment.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Manship family inducted into LSU Mass Communication school's Hall of Fame
Safety concerns at downtown library shut down businesses Thursday
APSO searching for man who stole truck from business
TPSO: Women wanted for stealing money in fake plea to support sick...
Wingmania: Wings for a good cause