Posted: Jul 11, 2014 4:44 PM by WBRZ Staff
Updated: Jul 11, 2014 11:13 PM
BATON ROUGE - Late Friday night, David Leger was booked back into the East Baton Rouge Parish prison after being found guilty of vehicular homicide earlier in the evening.
Leger was remanded into custody after the verdict in connection with a 2011 crash that killed five people, including three children.
A six-person jury reached their verdict after only a few hours of deliberation Friday.
Investigators said Leger was driving drunk and involved in a road rage-fueled chase with another driver, Kelsye Hall. A jury convicted her of negligent homicide last year for her part in the crash.
Leger's defense attorneys argued that Hall was the one truly responsible for the crash. An accident reconstruction specialist testified that Hall caused Leger to lose control during their road rage-fueled chase on the interstate.
Hall was released from prison on good behavior after serving nine months of her two-year prison sentence. Prosecutors called her to testify against Leger during the trial.
Leger faces up to 30 years in prison on each of his five charges. Sentencing is scheduled for Aug. 26. Leger will be booked into the parish jail with a $10,000 bond.
"We're happy we got this decision, we're happy that the people who did the crime are going to pay for it because we didn't want their deaths to go unaccounted for," said Karen Stagg, one of the victim's mother.
"I am happy with the verdict," another mother, Sue Fontenot, said.