Posted: Aug 14, 2013 5:29 PM by Russell Jones
Updated: Aug 14, 2013 5:29 PM
BATON ROUGE - A grand jury chose not to indict a security guard who killed a man in what investigators ruled was a self-defense shooting last year in Baton Rouge.
Investigators said the victim, Corey Kaufman, pointed a gun at the guard before he was shot outside Club Sha La in 2012. Family members disputed that, claiming Kaufman was not a violent person and that he was shot in cold blood.
The grand jury considered second-degree murder, manslaughter and negligent homicide for possible indictments before returning no true bill on each one.
"He lived a good life, he really did," Corey's mother, Barbara Kaufman said. "This is not over, we will get justice."
The family of Kaufman showed up over the course of two months as grand jurors evaluated the case and listened to witnesses.
"It's been hard, real hard," Corey's sister, Demetra Turner said. "We had to practically investigate everything ourselves."
Although the case is over in criminal court, the family can still file a civil lawsuit.