Governor: 7,000 Guardsmen ready for Karen
BATON ROUGE- The governor met with disaster experts Thursday evening as Tropical Storm Karen takes aim at Louisiana and the Gulf Coast.
The storm's path continues to change, but the governor said the state is ready for any type of emergency.
Seven-thousand National Guardsmen are available for mobilization the governor said after a meeting with his team.
"We are encouraging everyone to get a game plan now and stay alert by monitoring local weather conditions in their area," Governor Bobby Jindal said in a prepared statement issued to media outlets following the disaster briefing.
As he has said previously, "we always hope for the best and prepare for the worst."
Tangipahoa Parish declared a state of emergency as a precaution not long after a state-wide alert was issued Thursday afternoon. Plaquemines has issued a similar order and Grand Isle has issued a voluntary evacuation.
Some 520 Guardsman are being removed from furlough status to assist in the situation.
State agencies are ready, too. There is a list of plans in place. You can read the PDF document about specifics.
The next update on Karen is at 10:00.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz