Local News

Good neighbors battle BR apartment fire

Font size

Posted: May 4, 2012 5:43 PM by Russell Jones, Olivia LaBorde
Updated: May 4, 2012 6:19 PM
Source: WBRZ

  Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

Topics: Good, neighbors, baton, rouge, apartment, fire

BATON ROUGE - An apartment fire could have been a lot worse for a Baton Rouge family, if it wasn't for the help of some good neighbors.

Just after 10 p.m. last night, an electrical fire broke out in Shanika Gryo's kitchen at the Kings Court Apartments off Dougherty Drive. Gryo was inside with her three children when the fire started.

"Everything in my life, my kids, just eveything flashed before me," she told News 2.

Nearby, several neighbors were sitting on a stoop when they saw the smoke and flames. Instead of running away, they grabbed fire extinguishers and ran towards Gryo's apartment.

"We couldn't run in there, there was so much smoke," said one of the neighbors. "We put towels on our faces... grabbed the fire extinguisher, put the fire out."

Gryo said things happened so quickly, she didn't even realize the group had jumped in to put the fire out.

"I didn't even see them, I was out of the house by then," she said. "I don't know how they did... But I'm glad they did."

Firefighters arrived a short time later and made sure the fire was completely out in the apartment. They determined an electrical malfunction in the stove caused the fire. The damage was contained to the kitchen, and the family was moved to another unit.

The group of helpful neighbors wished to remain anonymous, because they said they were just doing what they were supposed to.

"We feel like everybody here is family," said one of the neighbors. "It's just like, you're supposed to look out for one another."

Most Popular