Posted: Jan 25, 2013 5:21 PM by Adrian Pittman
Updated: Jan 25, 2013 5:21 PM
GONZALES - Changes are coming to a pursuit policy after a deadly chase involving Gonzales police officers.
Chief Sherman Jackson spent the last month reviewing the high speed chase which involved one of his officers, and left two people dead. While he said today they would "tweak" the policies, Jackson hasn't released what those changes are.
"You have to gather all the facts. You have to put yourself in the officer shoes, and you would have to research and make sure he didn't do anything wrong outside of our polices and outside our procedures," Jackson told News 2.
It all started at the Tanger Shopping Outlet, when the officer responded to a shoplifting call. The alleged shoplifters took off, and the officer chased them for about 12 minutes down Highway 30 until it ended in St. Gabriel.
"We don't have a 100 percent safe proof policy, but we do understand that criminals do break the laws, and criminals should go to jail when they commit a crime. It's our responsibility to make sure that happens," said Jackson.
While on the chase, the officer received a warning from his supervisor; if things got out of hand, stop the chase.
"It was a judgement call for the officer. He didn't see no eminent threat right there, so he proceeded to continue with the pursuit," said Jackson.
The Gonzales Police Department the tweaks they are making will help prevent this from happening again.
"Even if it's reaching out to look at other department's policy and procedures, we'll do that, we're open," Jackson