Continuing our column from Sunday, engineer James Francis found success in canal construction and recommended implementing a massive gate to deflect flood waters from Lowell, MA. Closing off the feeder canals to the Merrimack River, the design was similar to gates defending castles against invaders in medieval Europe. His contemporaries ridiculed the idea but in April, 1852, the Merrimack was rising and Francis lowered the gate for the first time. On April 23, 1852, the river crested seven inches higher than the flood of 1785 and the gate, snug in granite, held fast, deflecting the flood waters and saving Lowell from destruction. A day later, a second 28-foot wall of water, bombarded the stone-bound gate and again it held. For 161 years, "Francis' Folly" remains a respected river control structure
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Community celebrates city's bicentennial
Gunfire outside Sorrento landfill escalates enviromental fight
Reported two alarm apartment fire on Titian Ave. near N Donmoor Ave.
20-year-old wanted for shooting near Doe's restaurant on Government Street
Legally blind teacher works, can't get disability assistance