Army says alleged shooter saw no combat in Iraq
WASHINGTON - The Army's top civilian official says the soldier accused in the Fort Hood shooting this week was deployed for the final months of the Iraq war but did not see combat.
Three people died and 16 were wounded before the shooter committed suicide.
Army Secretary John McHugh testified Thursday that the soldier appeared to have no connections to extremist groups.
The soldier is identified by others as Ivan Lopez. He enlisted in the Army in June 2008 as an infantryman and later switched his specialty to truck driver, the job he had in Iraq.
McHugh says the soldier was examined by a psychiatrist last month and was found to show no violent or suicidal tendencies. He says the soldier had been prescribed Ambien to deal with a sleeping problem.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Video shows moment humpback whale breaches next to boat near New Jersey
LSU fans flying high as Tigers advance to CWS finals
Water creeps into Central neighborhoods overnight
VIDEO: Dad, daughter catch teen as she falls from Six Flags ride
Watson residents say new drainage ditches will do more harm than good