Former BP executive gets delay in oil spill trial
NEW ORLEANS- A federal judge has indefinitely delayed the trial of a former BP executive accused of lying to Congress about the amount of oil spewing from the company's blown-out well in 2010.
David Rainey's trial had been scheduled to begin March 10.
Rainey was BP's vice president of exploration for the Gulf of Mexico when its Macondo well blew wild in April 2010. He was charged with obstructing Congress and lying to law enforcement agents.
Judge Kurt Englehardt threw out the obstruction-of-Congress charge, though prosecutors appealed and also brought a new indictment on the same charge.
Engelhardt says in an order Wednesday that prosecutors and Rainey's lawyers agreed to set a new date after the appeal is decided.
The appeal court has tentatively scheduled arguments the week of April 28.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Police chief says no reason to be alarmed despite 8 shootings in...
Push for "City of St. George" could return, but with obstacles
Paratroopers jump into the Box as LSU welcomes military, baseball season
Chief: More police, partnerships will work to curb violent streak
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: US Marshals searching for escaped WBR inmate