Flood victims could qualify for new bathroom, kitchen
BATON ROUGE - Residents struggling to rebuild after the August flood have a chance to apply for extra money to fix their homes.
The Restore Louisiana program will even hire a contractor and provide materials. But, it starts with filling out a survey.
Flood victims like Danita Pigeon could have a home that feels like new thanks to the government program. She's one of the more than 36,000 people who will have a chance to qualify.
"It just gives us the good feeling inside that someone's willing to help," Pigeon said.
From brand new sinks to stoves and microwaves, the program is making all of this available to qualifying flood victims.
"We're so excited because there are neighborhoods out there where they're people scattered throughout the neighborhood who have just not been able to rebuild yet or people that have used all of their retirement funds to get their house rebuilt," a representative with the program said.
Residents fill out the survey, then an inspector comes to the property to assess the damages.
Qualifying flood victims can pick their own contractor or the program can provide one. The program's kitchen and bathroom demo serves as an example of what the finished product will look like. Those who have already started the process said, so far, it's been smooth sailing.
Whether you had flood insurance or not, or even if you've already rebuilt your home, everyone is encouraged to apply.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
VIDEO: Dad, daughter catch teen as she falls from Six Flags ride
Watson residents say new drainage ditches will do more harm than good
EBR Metro Council to vote on parish-wide smoking ban Wednesday
Video of French Quarter mugging
Man wanted for allegedly stealing televisions from O'Neal Lane Walmart