Firefighters put out carport fire, save pair of parakeets
GONZALES - Firefighters said they quickly put out a carport fire in Gonzales and rescued two pet parakeets in the process on Sunday.
Firefighters arrived on the scene of the house fire at around 2:45 p.m. on Feb. 29 to find flames and heavy smoke coming from the carport of the residence, located in the 600 block of N. Pleasant Street. Though the fire was under control in a matter of minutes, there was noticeable damage to the carport area of the house, slight damage to one interior wall and slight damage to non-running sedan that was parked underneath the carport.
After Gonzales FD extinguished the fire, they ventilated the interior smoke. All residents of the household had left the house, but a pair of pet parakeets remained behind. Both birds were unharmed during the fire, according to firefighters. The family is currently staying at the Ascension Fire House as part of a project developed by an Ascension Chamber of Commerce Leadership Ascension group.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Sheriff's office admits to mistake after not sending rape kit...
Tired of sifting through multiple mortgage company requests
Central residents tired of flooding; drainage clean-up to begin July 10
Woman accused in murder of molester takes plea deal
Area ice cream shop fires employees after tirade aimed at sheriff's deputies