Firefighters keep dogs, cats & birds smoke-free in fire
SLIDELL - A St. Tammany Parish fire chief says firefighters saved six dogs, five cats and five birds from being hurt by smoke from a fire next door.
Chief Chris Kaufmann of Fire District No. 1 says the animals were being boarded at Bow Wow Dog Grooming when a grocery store in the same Slidell strip building caught fire early Sunday.
He says firefighters quickly set up ventilation fans to keep smoke from getting into the grooming business and had the fire out within 42 minutes.
He says there was heavy fire damage to about half of Palms of Slidell, also called the Thompson Road Grocery, and moderate fire damage to the attic of the adjacent Gift Emporium.
Kaufman says a short circuit in a plug-in hand light apparently started the fire.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Dozens attend vigil at LSU after three students died separately
Residents get progress report on Diversion Canal as work continues
Mother leads widening project on Highway 42, honoring late daughter
Alabama boy becomes huge LSU fan, invited to meet Coach O at...
Driver ticketed after crashing into utility pole overnight, knocking out power along...
Southern Center Jaylon Brinson excited to play in front of home town
Fans' Choice Award Winner 2019: Week 1- Isaiah Jones
Coach O Postgame after Lsu defeats Texas 45-38
Hunter Register leads Southern's offense despite loss to McNeese
Taylor Bannister's journey to becoming a LSU Volleyball Superstar