Local News

Fire Marshal: proof smoke alarms work; 3 generations escape burning home

Font size

Posted: Jul 31, 2012 9:49 PM by Trey Schmaltz
Updated: Jul 31, 2012 9:49 PM
Source:

  Rating: 0.0 (0 votes)

Topics: fire, alarms, evacuation, Tangipahoa

AMITE- A smoke detector is credited with saving lives in the Tangipahoa Parish seat. Three generations of a family were able to escape, unharmed.

The house, in the 55000 block of Mandella Road, caught on fire about three Tuesday morning.

"The homeowner... Was awakened by the smoke alarm," said State Fire Marshal "Butch" Browning.

Her daughter also heard the alarm, woke up a sleeping child and got out.

"Once again it has been proven. Early detection and warning is the key to surviving a fire. Something as small and inexpensive as a smoke alarm is the reason these people are alive today," Browning said.

The fire likely started due to an electrical malfunction.

Most Popular